Individuals who have undergone pregnancy or significant weight loss may have unwanted excess skin around the abdomen. A tummy tuck procedure removes sagging skin from the abdominal area and tightens the underlying muscles for a smooth, contoured look. A mini tummy tuck – or partial abdominoplasty – is less invasive than its traditional counterpart.
This procedure targets stubborn fat and excess skin below the belly button. We offer both procedures at Summit Plastic Surgery & Med Spa in Kansas City, MO, to help our patients achieve the look they desire. Dr. Madhukar G. Chhatre has more than 30 years of plastic surgery experience and will strive to exceed all of your expectations.
Am I A Candidate?
Patients considering a mini tummy tuck should have a mild or moderate amount of excess tissue below the belly button. Individuals who are starting to notice age-related sagging in the abdominal area are excellent candidates, as well as those with slim abdomens who simply wish to add more definition. Those with excessive abdominal fat distribution will be better suited for a traditional tummy tuck.
Read what our patients are saying!
If you have been unable to achieve the results you desire with diet and exercise, a mini tummy tuck could be the solution for you.
Click here to read more reviews.
It is important to note that a mini tummy tuck has some limitations. Unlike a traditional tummy tuck, it does not eliminate stretch marks. Additionally, a mini tummy tuck does not address anything above the belly button, as it is a targeted procedure with a specific objective.
What To Expect During Treatment
A mini tummy tuck can be completed in about two to three hours. This procedure involves:
- Anesthesia: Mild sedation or general anesthesia will be administered in conjunction with local anesthesia to keep you comfortable during the procedure.
- Incision: Once you are comfortable, Dr. Chhatre will create a small incision along the abdomen. The location and size of the incision will depend on your unique needs. However, the incision is typically smaller than the one required during a traditional tummy tuck.
- Sculpting: Next, the underlying muscles are tightened to give them a more toned appearance. Liposuction may be performed to remove unwanted pockets of fat, as well.
- Skin removal: Dr. Chhatre will then stretch the skin downward and trim away any excess tissue.
- Sutures: Finally, the incision is closed with sutures. A surgical drain may also be placed in the incision site to help alleviate inflammation and swelling.
The Recovery Process
Following a mini tummy tuck procedure, patients can expect some degree of discomfort, bruising, and swelling. These are all normal side effects and can be managed with over-the-counter and prescription medications. In general, patients should be able to return to work within a few days but should avoid strenuous activity for a few weeks.
Benefits Of A Mini Tummy Tuck
Compared to a traditional abdominoplasty, a mini tummy tuck offers a few notable advantages. For example, patients who undergo this procedure can enjoy:
- Less invasive treatment: Because a mini tummy tuck only addresses the lower portion of the abdomen, the surgical process is less extensive.
- Lower cost: A mini tummy tuck typically costs a few thousand dollars less than a traditional abdominoplasty, making it a much more cost-effective solution.
- Quicker recovery: Only one small incision is required for a mini tummy tuck. Therefore, most patients can enjoy a fast recovery and return to normal daily activities within a few days.