Dr. Madhukar Chhatre’s advanced surgical techniques can make breast reconstruction recovery for patients in the Kansas City, MO, area as short and comfortable as possible. With a commitment to patient education, we can also ensure patients feel fully prepared and know what to expect.. At Summit Plastic Surgery and Med Spa, we believe that patient education is just as important as the surgery itself in providing optimal benefitsand successful results. During your pre-surgery consultation, Dr. Chhatre will provide detailed instructions on how to care for your body after surgery so that your breast reconstruction recovery is as smooth and positive of an experience as possible
Because breast reconstruction often follows a traumatic and life-changing experience, such as breast cancer and a mastectomy, Dr. Chhatre and the team at Summit Plastic Surgery and Med Spa understand that this can be a difficult and sensitive surgery to undergo. To help put our patients at ease, we strive to provide compassionate care with a built-in support system. We want you to feel comfortable asking any question or voicing concern you may have throughout your entire journey with us.
Part of the care and support system we provide includes a pre-surgery consultation where post-operational details are discussed on how to care for your body, so you can have a smooth recovery. During that consultation, Dr. Chhatre will discuss in detail:
- How to care for your surgical site
- Medications to take
- Activities to avoid
- Different stages of recovery
- Expected length of recovery
- Follow-up appointments
What to Expect During Breast Reconstruction Recovery
Each breast reconstruction recovery is unique to the individual patient, and will affect you both physically and emotionally. Specifics will also depend on what technique was used and whether you underwent immediate breast reconstruction. Some basic steps you can expect to go through during your recovery include:
- Sutures and Bandages: Once the surgery is complete, Dr. Chhatre will carefully close the incisions with sutures and apply bandages. In addition, an elastic bandage (support bra) will be placed over the bandages to help with swelling. Depending on the situation, he may also place a small drain under the skin to remove any excess fluid to promote faster healing. You will need to have any sutures removed about seven to 10 days after your procedure.
- Outpatient Care: Dr. Chhatre may expect you to stay in the surgical wing of our state-of-the-art facility for the first night so he can monitor your recovery and help manage any discomfort. Because of the anesthesia and pain medication involved with this type of procedure, you will need to have someone drive you to and from the surgery.
At Summit Plastic Surgery and Med Spa, we believe that patient education is just as important as the surgery itself in providing successful results.
- At-home Care: We recommend having a loved one available to stay with you to help care for you since your daily activity will be limited for the first few weeks. If you take medications as prescribed, use ice packs, and rest, you can expect a smooth recovery with satisfying results. Typically, most patients are able to return to daily activities such as driving and personal care in about two to three weeks. Soreness and swelling will still be present, however, so full activity will be limited.
- Follow-up Appointments: Over the next few weeks, Dr. Chhatre will monitor your recovery. It will typically take four to six months to see final results as all swelling goes down and your new breasts settle into their shape. If you follow your post-op instructions carefully, along with Dr. Chhatre’s advanced techniques, extensive background and expertise, you can expect a successful surgical outcome with a fast recovery time.
Understand Your Treatment Timeline
At Summit Plastic Surgery and Med Spa, we want your recovery from breast reconstruction to be as smooth as possible. Contact us today to schedule your consultation with Dr. Chhatre and discuss your unique treatment and recovery expectations.