May is the widely considered the unofficial start of Summer. Sneaking out to spend as much time outside and soaking up some good old Vitamin D feels good to the soul. After months locked inside because of the cold and dreary weather, especially in Kansas City, it can seem almost impossible to stay in on a warm and sunny day. The start of May is also the start of a month that we want to shed some light on. May is Skin Cancer awareness month. We wanted to share some important, interesting and hopefully eye opening statistics for you.
- There are more Skin Cancer diagnoses yearly in the United States that ALL OTHER CANCERS COMBINED- you read that right. Mind blowing- isn’t it? The numbers are staggering at over 5 million cases diagnosed each year. The bright spot? Skin Cancer is also one of the most preventable forms of cancer.
- The estimated 5 year survival rate for early detected melanoma is about 99%. This is why early detection is key. Regular skin checks by your Doctor are important and if you see any suspicious or changing skin lesions schedule a check up right away.
- Having 5 or more sunburns or just ONE blistering sunburn DOUBLES your risk for melanoma. Something we can’t express enough is the importance of wearing a good quality full spectrum SPF everyday. Sunburns are in no way are good or healthy for you. They don’t do any benefit in giving a ‘base tan’ and cause significantly more harm
- Tanning beds can emit UV radiation in amounts 10-15 times STRONGER than the sun at its PEAK intensity. So please re think the notion that getting a ‘base tan’ in the tanning bed is safer for your skin. In absolute no way is going to a tanning bed safe and significantly increases your chances of skin cancer.
- 86% of melanoma and 90% of non melanoma skin cancers can be attributed to UV exposure. Making a good quality SPF part of you and your families daily routine is so important. You can still safely be in the sun.
- Regular DAILY use of an SPF reduces the risk of developing skin cancer by over 50%
- Skin Cancer does not discriminate between race, sex, or age. Everyone that spends time outside is susceptible to a sunburn and to developing skin cancer, wearing a good quality SPF daily is the best route for prevention
- Combining a stable topical Vitamin C with your SPF has been proven to be more effective than sunscreen alone. We carry the pioneer of stable Vitamin C serums at our Kansas City area MedSpa, where our estheticians always offer complimentary skin care consultations.
- About 75% of UV Rays penetrate through glass. These rays are STRONG, when you’re car, in your house or at work- if you’re near windows you need SPF
- Just because you can’t see or feel the sun, doesn’t mean you’re not being exposed- exposure can happen through clouds and rain.
When wearing your daily sunscreen, it should be at least and SPF of 30 or higher with UVA and UVB protection. Our experienced, licensed estheticians would be more than happy to help you find the perfect sunscreen for you! Always apply at least 20 minutes prior to sun exposure, reapply every 1-2 hours and always reapply after swimming or sweating(there is no such thing as a water or sweat proof sunscreen)
Dr. Chhatre, Kansas City area board certified Plastic Surgeon has had over 25 years of removing skin cancers. With his unmatched experience and precision to detail scarring is typically minimal and hard to see once healed. If you’re interested in learning more about protecting your skin please contact our Kansas City MedSpa today.