Aging and extreme weight loss can cause the skin in the upper arm area to become loose and saggy. Arm lift surgery – or brachioplasty – at our Kansas City, MO, practice can eliminate excess skin and remove stubborn fat deposits for a more contoured, toned appearance. During this procedure, Dr. Madhukar G. Chhatre will make discreetly placed incisions along the insides of your arms to sculpt a more toned, appearance.
We can provide intravenous (IV) sedation to make you feel completely relaxed during your arm lift surgery. All of our body contouring procedures are completed in our on-site accredited surgical center here at Summit Plastic Surgery & Med Spa.
Preparing For Surgery
Prior to undergoing an arm lift, patients should closely follow Dr. Chhatre’s pre-operative instructions to ensure a comfortable and successful recovery. These recommendations may include:
- Discontinue blood-thinners: As with most surgical procedures, patients will be asked to discontinue their blood-thinners three to four weeks before treatment. It is also important to stop taking any medication containing aspirin, as these drugs can increase the risk of bleeding.
- Stop tobacco use: Smoking seriously impedes the body’s natural healing capacity. Therefore, patients should stop smoking at least four weeks prior to surgery.
- Fast the night before your surgery: Because you will be under sedation, you will not be able to eat or drink anything after midnight the day of your procedure.
- Dress comfortably: Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothes to your appointment. Avoid wearing cosmetics, contact lenses, or jewelry.
The Treatment Process
The day of your surgery, you will be escorted to a comfortable treatment room while our surgical team prepares. Arm lift surgery involves these steps:
- Anesthesia: To ensure your comfort during the procedure, anesthesia is administered. Most patients prefer IV sedation, but general anesthesia can be provided if necessary.
- Creating the incisions: Once you are comfortable, Dr. Chhatre will mark the areas of concern and carefully create incisions along the undersides of the arms. The location and length of the incisions will depend on your unique needs. However, Dr. Chhatre works to minimize scarring by placing the incisions strategically.
- Fat reduction and skin tightening: If there are stubborn pockets of fat present, Dr. Chhatre may use liposuction or tumescent liposuction to eliminate them. Next, he will carefully trim away excess skin and re-drape the existing skin over the new arm contour.
- Closing the incisions: Finally, the incisions will be closed with stitches. A surgical drain may also be placed to reduce swelling and prevent the buildup of fluids. You will also be fitted for a compression garment, which will support the healing tissues during recovery.
In most cases, it takes about one to two hours to complete an arm lift. You will be monitored immediately following the procedure and will be released to go home when ready.
Healing And Recovery
Immediately following arm lift surgery, patients can expect some level of tenderness and discomfort. These side effects can be mitigated with prescription and over-the-counter medications. Elevating the arms will also help reduce swelling and soreness. It is important to keep the incisions clean and dry as well. You will be given a detailed list of post-surgical guidelines, which should be followed closely for a successful arm lift recovery.
If you are self-conscious about saggy or droopy skin in the upper arm area, an arm lift can offer the results you desire.
In most cases, patients can return to work in two to three weeks. Strenuous exercise should be avoided until at least six weeks after your surgery, while moderate activity can be resumed in approximately one month. However, patients should engage in light walking as soon as possible after the procedure to reduce the risk of blood clots and other post-surgical complications.
Learn More About Arm Lift Surgery
If you are self-conscious about saggy or droopy skin in the upper arm area, an arm lift can offer the results you desire. To find out whether this procedure is right for you, schedule a consultation with Dr. Chhatre. Call our office at 816.347.0026 or contact us online anytime.